Monday, September 13, 2010

Cheesy Potatoes

I like cheesy potato casseroles. One problem though. Most call for cream of chicken soup. Being a vegetarian, I'm not one to dig into a casserole if I know there's something in it that contains meat/fish/poultry. I decided to alter a recipe to see how it would turn out.

I'm a fan of the Kraft Foods website. Not because the food always turns out great, but mostly because the dishes are pretty easy. I'm all about easy recipes.

These are the substitutions I made. I didn't use store bought Southern Style Hash Browns. I opted for organic Russet potatoes, and left the skin on (easier and healthier). I substituted Cream of Potato soup. It seems like a good sub since I was making a potato dish. I didn't use any butter on the topping. I'm sure it would taste great, but do we really need it? Not really. Also, my original recipe called for cheesy crackers for the topping (like Cheez-Its). On the website it calls for Ritz. I just used a natural cheese cracker.

In making this recipes, I followed the measurements exactly. If I was going to make this again, I'd bake it for less time and add either more soup or sour cream.

Overall, a tasty side dish that would be great to take to a pot luck or holiday meal.

Side note: Son wouldn't eat it. So picky!

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/cheesy-potatoes-95131.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment