Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Black Bean Chimichanga


While flipping those a Southern Living magazine a while ago...almost 3 years ago...I stumbled upon a recipe for Black Bean Chimichangas. Being a vegetarian and a fan of black beans and Mexican fare, I decided to give it a try. It looked easy enough and versatile.

I love this recipe. I've made this dish about half a dozen times and it has never disappointed. It's very simple to make if you use a can of black beans (I like Whole Foods Spicy Organic BB). I use large whole wheat burrito shells and can make about 5 chimichangas per batch. The variation of ingredients you can use is limitless. I've made them vegetarian, with shredded pork left-overs, ground beef and chicken. You can add what ever fresh ingredients you like to change the flavor profile.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001806859

This photo was taken in February 2011. Instead of using burrito shells, I used smaller tortilla shells and wrapped them like enchiladas. So versatile.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't have burrito shells so I used tortilla shells and it worked out great. Very tasty. I'll try burrito shells next time. I also added left over chicken. This recipe is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete