Monday, August 30, 2010

Mexican Casserole

I love Mexican food! I can't decide whether I like Indian food more than Mexican or not. I want flavor and I want spice!

My Mother-in-Law finds the best recipes and this one is no exception. She made it for me after I had come home from the hospital after having my son, almost three years ago.

I decided to make this since I had all of the ingredients and a new casserole dish I want to try out. It's easy to put together and easy to vary the recipe to suit your taste. My husband thinks this should be a dip, since he like to eat it with chips. I like to think of it as a basic rice and bean casserole. Toss in some chicken for the meat-eaters and maybe it'll "seem" more like a complete meal.

Mexican Casserole

15 1/4 oz corn, drained <--I used a bag of frozen organic, it's probably a pound
15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained <--Use Whole Foods Spicy Black Beans to kick it up a bit
10 oz whole tomatoes with green chiles <--I dice fresh tomatoes and buy the chopped green green chiles
8 oz sour cream
8 oz picante sauce <--I use organic medium salsa
8 oz (2 cups) shredded yellow cheddar
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bunch green onions, chopped
8 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded

-Combine the first 8 ingredients and spoon into a lightly greased 13x19 pan.
-Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
-Bake @ 350F for 30-35 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Just when I thought I knew you and then I read that you don't eat broccoli. Who are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is awesomesauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great....I have a bbq this weekend, I might make that for a "dip". We love Mexican! I too love cooking. Last year I started using the crockpot more....this is one of our fav mexican dishes (with chicken) http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/creamy-corn-and-spinach-enchiladas.html....I'm sure you could tweak it to suite your tastes!

    ReplyDelete