Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Slow-Cooker Mediterranean Beef Stew


I kinda did a bad thing. I was in Costco one day looking at the magazines on the magazine rack. I found one with slow-cooker (aka crock pot) recipes in it. I flipped through the pages and when I found only one or two recipes that interested me, I put the magazine back on the shelf. Then I took it back off of the shelf, opened it up again, took out my cell phone and took photos of the recipes I wanted. I stole them. I still feel guilty about it.

After stealing this recipe and purchasing the ingredients, I didn't hold out much hope for this dish. It seemed very boring, but easy to make. I liked that the recipe didn't ask me to brown the meat first, like you need to with most stew recipes. My husband bought diced tomatoes with green chiles and not Italitan-style diced tomatoes that I had asked for so I used those. I doctored up the recipe a little bit by added about a tablespoon of Montreal Steak Seasoning and hoped for the best.

My. husband.loved.it! He raved and raved about it. He complemented the look, the flavor, the aroma. He was so excited that I thought it was going to eat the whole pot. I quickly got some ready for the freezer so that I could surprise him one day for lunch. It was totally worth it to swipe this recipe and now I'm encouraged to do it again after the winning review that I got! ;o

4 comments:

  1. I take photos of recipes in magazines too. I just bought the ingredients for this one. Gonna make it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I cooked it the long way and I plan on making it monthly. So easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to "steal" it for personal use is a little questionable but we've all done it- to post it on the internet, however, may actually be copyright infringement, which is a crime, not just frugal homemaker shenanigans. Here's a link to a Smashing Magazine explanation of copyright law for bloggers. In the meantime, frugal Suzy homemaker, I'd either ask permission from the publisher or take this photo down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Copyright for bloggers http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/07/07/copyright-explained-i-may-copy-it-right/

    ReplyDelete