Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins

I'm feeling indecisive today. I prepared these amazing muffins late this morning and I love more than one picture that I took. I've included them all. Please tell me which one you prefer.

I love banana and I love chocolate. A few weeks ago I made some stellar chocolate banana spring rolls. Today I made a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com. After reading through other people's suggestions, I had my game plan. I love that in this day & age you can do more than flip through a cookbook. I always read other people's comments and check out the photos they post so that I can make it as perfect as possible the first time. With this recipe I've adapted the ingredients, as I do with almost all the recipes I find. I cut out the oil and substituted in applesauce and yogurt. I've also combined AP flour with some whole wheat flour. I'm so glad I did because they are fantastic without all of the guilt.

My preschooler was so excited to try one that he actually asked me to take his picture with them. After he tried them he gave them the "thumbs up"!

Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup yogurt (plain, vanilla, or banana)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
  • 3 medium bananas (1/2 thinly sliced for garnish, 3 1/2 mashed)
  • 3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla.

2. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.

3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

*This recipe yielded me 17 muffins.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love all of the photos! Keep them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this and it was great! I love that they turned out so yummy even though I used whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace Hylton from PAApril 24, 2012 at 3:58 AM

    So moist. Love using mini chocolate chips. It was the opposite of the SNL skit with Betty White and her dry, yeasty muffins. ;)

    ReplyDelete