Sunday, March 4, 2012

Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup

I bought some Sweet Italian Sausage at Costco and as you can imagine, there's a lot of it. I'm trying to find recipes that call for Italian sausage besides the standard Sausage with Peppers & Onions. My husband loves it, but I need to give him some variety.

I found this recipe on AllRecipes.com. I tweaked it a little (or a lot) based on what I had and didn't have on hand. The recipe calls for 1 sausage link. It didn't seem like enough, so I used three. Only 8 ounces of tortellini? I used 12! The recipe calls for 5 cups of beef broth, I only had 2 1/2 and the grocery store was sold out of the brand that I use. I substituted vegetable broth. It also called for red wine. When I went down to our wine cellar (aka laundry room ((a place the preschooler can't get into))), there was none to be found! I was a bit shocked and quickly added it to my shopping list. So I substituted more vegetable broth. It also called for tomato sauce but I had some tomato paste already open so I used that instead. Blah, blah, blah... I'd make sure I had red wine and enough beef broth on hand next time.

It turned out great! How do I know, being a vegetarian? Because my husband AND my preschooler loved it! They even ate it for left-overs the next night! No complaints out of the child and he finally ate tortellini for the first time! The only suggestion my husband made was to use a spicy sausage next time to kick up the flavor a bit.

Adapted.

Ingredients
  • 3 links sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (or spicy sausage for more flavor)
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 5 cups beef stock
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 4 plum tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • 12 ounces cheese tortellini
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Directions

  1. Place the sausage in a large pot over medium high heat and saute for 10 minutes, or until well browned. Drain the fat except for about 1 tablespoon, add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 more minutes.
  2. Next add the beef stock, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming any fat that may surface.
  3. Add the zucchini, tortellini, green bell pepper and parsley to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until tortellini is fully cooked. Pour into individual bowls and garnish with the cheese.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-sausage-tortellini-soup/detail.aspx


1 comment: