Friday, January 13, 2012

Vegetarian Curry Crock Pot


Two of my favorite things in life are massages (which I don't get often enough) and Indian food. I go out for dinner to the Indian restaurant for my birthday literally every year. I love it but yet I'm not adventurous enough to actually cook it. I have friends who have made paneer from scratch. I've watched how easy it is to make naan via the Food Network and Youtube. But I hadn't dared to actually prepare a meal...until I found this crock pot recipe. I love my crock pot and I'm always looking for new recipes to try. This one looked easy enough. I found it on a website where a lady made a different crock pot meal every day for a year. Sounds crazy to me!

I served this vegetarian curry first to my husband while we ate in shifts, which parents with babies know needs to be done on occasion. He was disappointed. It looked beautiful. It was healthy. It called for lots of curry seasoning. It made the house smell great. But, the flavor was lacking. Taking his comments, I tweaked it a bit before I ate it and his second opinion while eating left-overs was much more favorable. I've adapted the recipe to suit our taste.

Served over basmati rice with a side of garlic naan and a dollop of plain yogurt, I was able to tweak it from something disappointing to something rather tasty.


Ingredients

2 cans drained and rinsed garbanzo beans (chick peas)

1 diced red pepper

4 tiny potatoes, or 1 regular-sized

1/2 cup diced carrots

1/2 cup diced celery

3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic

3 tbsp (yes, tablespoons!) curry

1 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp red (cayenne) pepper

1 lg can tomatoes (and juice)

2 cups vegetable broth

3/4 cup plain yogurt

1 cup frozen peas (to add later - optional)

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Directions

1. add drain and rinsed garbanzo beans to your crockpot

2. cover with diced vegetables and add spices

3. toss in tomatoes, yogurt and broth

4. stir to mix flavors

5. cook on low for 8-10 hours, or longer. Sneak a taste and season with more salt & pepper as desired.

6. 20 minutes before serving, stir in the frozen peas. Turn to high.



Coming soon....

6 comments:

  1. Just saw your vegetarian curry recipe. Have you tried roasting cauliflower with curry powder? Super simple and gives you a little taste of Indian food. Curry powder, garlic (I'd actually use powder for this since it sticks better), salt, crushed red pepper flakes and olive oil. Roast at 425 for about 20 minutes or so. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  3. TPL - I'm not the biggest fan of cauliflower, but I'll try this. I have plenty of curry powder and I love garlic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use a lot of curry powder. The cauliflower pretty much takes on the flavor and is just the extra crunch. You could also use chickpeas instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll try both. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete