Monday, January 9, 2012

Autumn Pear and Pumpkin Soup

I've stayed on track with my January Meal Calendar and the plan for dinner tonight was Autumn Pear and Pumpkin soup. I love pumpkin-flavored things so this recipe was right up my alley. I've adapted the recipe from BHG.com (Better Homes & Gardens).

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cubes instant vegetable bouillon granules
  • 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
  • 2-1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream
  • 1-3/4 cups pear nectar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • Pear slices (optional)

Directions

1. In a large saucepan combine onion, water, and bouillon cubes. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until onion is very tender; cool slightly. Do not drain.

2. Transfer mixture to a blender container or food processor bowl. Add pumpkin. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return pumpkin mixture to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half or light cream, pear nectar, ginger, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice. Cook and stir until heated through.

3. Ladle into soup bowls. If desired, garnish each serving with pear slices. Makes 6 servings.


My husband and I both enjoyed this soup. The flavors were subtle but distinct. We were both able to pick out the pear and pumpkin tones. Because the soup tasted so light, we both thought it would make a nice appetizer. I added some cheese tortellini to the soup to "bulk" it up. It added just enough hardiness to make it an entree.

The preschooler test...failed. My son, who I would describe as a picky eater, has only ever spit out food three times. This soup was the fourth. It didn't go over well at all, even after attempting to bribe him with ice cream for dessert if he finished. Nothing worked. I think the flavor is for more sophisticated palate. At least he tried it. Should've gotten a photo with the "thumbs down".

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/soups/autumn-pear-and-pumpkin-soup/

1 comment: