Thursday, January 12, 2012

Kentucky Derby Museum Pie (aka Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie)

I have never known another pie to be called by so many names. Kentucky Derby Museum Pie, Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie, Kentucky Horse Race Pie. I don't care what it's called. It's rich and chocolatey, full of pecans and so easy to make. Yum! And...has just enough of a hint of bourbon for you to feel naughty! You could substitute the bourbon with pure vanilla extract, but why would you?!

I lived in Lexington, KY for almost a year after college. I was apprehensive about moving there but I fell in love with horse-country. I was unable to go to the Derby while living there since I worked in a hotel and it was their busiest time of year, but I found this recipe instead.

Ingredients

1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons Kentucky Bourbon (or 1 teaspoon vanilla)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chocolate chips
1 9" pie shell, partially baked

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs, flour, salt, and Kentucky Bourbon (or vanilla). Add chocolate chips and nuts. Stir well.
3. Pour into partially baked pie shell and bake for 30 minutes, or until center is set. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


Yummy and rich. You definitely need whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to mellow out the intense richness. It is so good when heated and even better the next day. Butterscotch chips can be substituted for half of the chocolate chips. I like this recipe even more because it is something you can whip together in a rush, assuming you have all of the ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I LOOOOOOVE Derby Pie! Have some for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that looks amazing. Stop posting food, I'm trying not to eat sweets. I'm starving and cranky!

    ReplyDelete