Saturday, June 25, 2011

Taco Stuffed Shells

O.M.G. Could there be anything better than combining Italian and Mexican food together? This fusion of flavors is awesome! The flavor of a taco in a stuffed pasta shell! Who thinks of these things?

Again...Pinterest lead me to this tasty creation and I made this entree on the night my friend came over with her family. If you've read my other recent posts, you'll know that I made about 5 new recipes that night and this was one of them. I made a organic ground beef version and a vegetarian "crumbles" version. The crumbles are the "vegetarian ground beef" substitute that you can buy in any grocery store.

I adapted this recipe a bit and was happy with the outcome. I didn't measure the salsa, taco sauce, cheese or tortilla strips. I just used enough to cover the shells to my liking. I also used more salsa then the recipe calls for. I used medium-flavor and it was not overly spicy at all. No worries there.

The two young girls visiting ate them right up! That was a huge compliment. Thanks Brooke and Summer!

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (or meat substitute)
1 package taco seasoning
1 4 ounce package cream cheese
12-15 large pasta shells
1 cup salsa
1 cup taco sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 cup Monterey jack cheese (shredded)
1 ½ cups tortilla chips (crushed)
3 green onions (chopped)
sour cream

Instructions:

1. In a fry pan cook ground beef and add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Add cream cheese cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Blend well. Set aside and allow to fully cool. While ground beef is cooking cook the pasta shells, drain.

2.
Pour salsa in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

3. Stuff each shell with the meat mixture. Place the stuffed shells in the baking dish and cover the tops of the shells with taco sauce.

4. Cover and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

5. After 30 minutes, uncover, sprinkle crushed chips and shredded cheeses on top. Cook for 15 more minutes or until cheese has melted. Garnish with green onions.

6. Serve with sour cream, additional salsa, black olives, or whatever you think goes good with tacos.

http://blogchef.net/taco-stuffed-shells-recipe/

1 comment:

  1. Made taco stuffed shells and thought of you! Thanks for the AWESOME suggestion! They were a HIT!

    ReplyDelete