Saturday, June 25, 2011

Berry Slab Pie



And now for dessert...Blackberry Slab Pie! Click on the photos to enlarge and to active salivary glands.

I could not have chosen an easier recipe to try out for dessert. Pinterest really needs to start paying me for mentioning their website in every blog entry I write. Yet again is another recipe I found while cruising around their site. This one was linked to http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/02/18/the-easiest-blackberry-slab-pie-ever/. I didn't adapt this one at all, except to say that I didn't measure the fruit or the sanding sugar. I just tossed in a container of blackberries and all the clean blueberries I had in a bowl.

I cannot stress how fast and easy this was to make and the outcome is really impressive. It must be served with vanilla ice cream. It is the perfect summer dessert, minus turning on the oven in the middle of summer.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

3 cups fresh blackberries, blueberries, or a mixture of both
1 prepared round of pie dough, thawed
1 egg white
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sparkling sugar

Directions:

1. Place the round of pie dough on a parchment lined baking sheet.

2. Wash and dry the berries, then place them in a heap right in the center of your pie dough.

3. Carefully fold the edges of the pie dough around the berries, pinching it together to keep the edges in place.

4. Melt the butter and drizzle half of it over the berries.

5. Whisk the egg white into the remaining bit of butter. With a basting brush, spread the butter/egg mixture all over the edges of the pie crust, then sprinkle with sparkling sugar.

Bake in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve piping hot with giant scoops of vanilla ice cream.


2 comments:

  1. this looks good, I ♥ blackberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think it would work with frozen strawberries?

    ReplyDelete