Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chicken Broccoli Divan Casserole


First off, why does the word "casserole" look so strange to me? Isn't it weird when a common word looks so uncommon?

It seems to me that casseroles are easy to make and can spare me from cooking dinner two nights in a row or I can freeze portions for a quick home-cooked meal on another night. I try to make dishes like this for my husband on the nights that I work. He needs something that requires no prep and little work on his part. I assemble the casserole and leave him a note with the baking time and temp. With casseroles that I make exclusively for him, I put in things I don't eat so that he can eat things he enjoys. ie) chicken and broccoli. I've adapted this from a recipe I found online. I don't use butter in casseroles. I always substitute brown rice instead of white. I always use as many organic ingredients as possible.

Chicken Broccoli Divan

4 cups steamed broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (approx 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1 can organic Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
whole wheat panko breadcrumbs, enough to cover

-Place the broccoli and chicken into a 9-inch pie plate.
-Stir the soup and milk in a small bowl. Pour the soup mixture over the broccoli and chicken.
-Sprinkle with the cheese.
-->I just mix all of the ingredients together and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
-Sprinkle the bread crumbs mixture over the cheese.
-Bake at 450°F. for 20 minutes or until the chicken mixture is hot and bubbling.


No comments:

Post a Comment