Sunday, August 1, 2010

What to do with 4 1/2 # of Zucchini?

One of my neighbors was going out of town last weekend and needed to unload some of her abundance of homegrown vegetables. When presented with over four pounds of zucchini, the first recipe that popped into my head was zucchini bread. I've had two zucchini bread recipes sitting in my recipe book for a long time. It was time to try them both out and have a taste test. But...things didn't go as expected.

The first loaves of bread I baked looked delicious. I took a recipe from allrecipes.com that got rave reviews. It turned out to be too cakey in consistency and too mild in flavor for my liking. The second recipe came out of one my Mother-in-Law's recipe books. Although the second batch had more flavor, it lacked the moistness of the first batch. My son loved then both, so it wasn't a total waste.

Overall, I wasn't impressed by either recipe so I decided not to share any to my neighbor who was kind enough to give me the zucchini in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I bet they were better than you are admitting! My mom had been perfecting her zucchini bread lately, since her garden seems to be overflowing with HUGE zucchinis also. She gave us a loaf with raisins and crushed pineapple - it was delicious (at least I thought so)!
    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete