Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Black Bean Lasagna


This is one of my all-time favorite homemade meal(s).  I have prepared it many times and have tweaked the recipe a couple of times.  My sister-in-law shared with recipe with me a few years ago.  I believe she found it in Cooking Light magazine or something like that.  It takes a bit of time to prepare, as lasagna does.  I've tried using no-bake lasagna noodles and I'm not a fan.  I'd rather cook my own pasta and just suck up the time and effort it takes to boil the noodles.  This lasagna is flavorful, colorful, almost completely healthy and smells great during preparation and while baking.

You can vary the degree of spiciness by altering the ingredients, but using spicy black beans and a medium salsa makes it perfect!  Would anyone like to come over for dinner and try it?  I mean it.  Open invite!  You might even be offered a glass of wine...

Ingredients

1 cup                chopped onion
1 cup                chopped bell peppers (any color)
2 tsp                 minced garlic
1 cup                chopped tomato
2 each              chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)
2 (15 oz) cans  black beans, drained & rinsed (Whole Food Spicy BB are yummy!)
3 tbs                 fresh chopped cilantro              
8 oz                  low-fat sour cream
1 each              large egg, lightly beaten
1 (16oz) btl      chunky salsa (I use 24oz of Kirkland Organic Medium Chucky Salsa)
Cooking spray
12 each            cooked lasagna noodles
16 oz               shredded Monterey jack cheese (I like to use 8oz monterey jack, 8oz pepper jack)

Directions

1.      Sauté onion, peppers, garlic for 6 minutes over medium heat.
2.      Add tomatoes, cook 3 more minutes.
3.      Add jalapenos & beans, cook 3 more minutes.
4.      Remove from heat, let cool for 10 minutes.
5.      Stir in cilantro, sour cream, & egg.

6.      Spread 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray.
7.      Arrange 4 noodles over salsa & top with 1/2 bean mixture, 1/2 cup cheese & 3 tbs salsa. 
8.      Repeat layers, ending with noodles.
9.      Spread remaining salsa over noodles & sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.

10.  Spray foil with non-stick spray, cover and bake at 375 F for 30 minutes.
11.  Uncover and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
12.  Let stand 5 minutes.

Serves 8.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment