Friday, September 2, 2011

Homemade Meatballs

One day I was shopping at Wegmans and frozen meatballs caught my eye. Being a vegetarian I was obviously looking for something to feed the meat-eaters in my life. I work two nights a week and I'm always thinking about fast, easy meals that my husband can prepare for himself and our son. I grabbed a small bag and decided to see if my son would even eat meatballs. He tends to only eat my mini-meatloaves and no other red meat. In fact, as he approaches his fourth birthday, he had finally had his first hamburger. It was a slider and he only ate half of it, and he didn't use a bun, but I considered it progress - in terms of him eating like a more 'normal' child.

The night I bought the meatballs I served it with whole grain pasta, another food my child turns his nose up at (not normal). He kept asking for more meatballs! I prefer to feed him only organic meat, but before I would commit the time and energy to making my own meatballs I had to see if he'd at least try them. He was so excited about them that I managed to get him to eat all of the pasta on his plate (a "happy plate" as the daycare calls it when they finish all of their food) in exchange for another meatball.

So tonight I decided to make my own meatballs. The idea in the back of my head is, if he eats them, then I'll get a grinder attachment for my stand mixer and buy my organic meat and grind it to make into meatballs and hamburgers. Doesn't this seem like a lot of effort for a vegetarian to go through? I must love my family! ;)

I prepared the meatballs and it was one of the easiest things I've made! And, to top off the ease, they only took 10 minutes in the oven! I drained them and tossed them into simmering marinara sauce and served over pasta. The guys ate them up and gave motivating compliments. I'll definitely get that grinder (hint, hint: would make a great Christmas gift) and I'll prepare these in bulk and freeze.


Ingredients:

1 lb. organic ground beef
1/4 cup stuffing mix or breadcrumbs
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs organic ketchup
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Directions:

1. Mix all of the ingredients together
2. Form into 1" balls - will make approx. 20-24 each
3. Place into ungreased 15x10 pans
4. Bake uncovered at 400F for 10 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165F.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Justin! I make mine with turkey and my extra-picky kids eat them. Do you think panko crumbs would work or does it have to be traditional bread crumbs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I use this recipe I use Panko and it turns out great.

    ReplyDelete