Monday, January 10, 2011

Chili Cook-Off: Meat vs. Vegetarian


The weather forecast is calling for snow tomorrow. It's been cool and windy a lot lately and it seems like the right time to make chili. Being a vegetarian married to a meat-eater can be exhausting in the kitchen, but today I was feeling energetic (probably because I remembered to take my vitamins).

I often use Kraft's A-1 Chili recipe but today I decided to wing it. Sauteed onions, green chiles, diced tomatoes, ground beef, kidney beans, chili seasoning and a dash of A-1. After browning the meat, I tossed everything into the crock pot. Dinner done...done for tomorrow night's dinner too!

I didn't feel like making two dinners, but even though I planned on serving chili to the whole family, making a vegetarian chili was a necessity. But chili is so easy to make and using Morningstar Crumbles is even easier than browning meat. The veggie chili is the same as the other one, just substituted the Crumbles.


I don't have two crock pots so I let my veggie chili simmer on the stove on low. I got distracted the didn't stir it for a while and some kidney beans burnt a bit. Oh well. Now I know what to ask for next Christmas!

Because the meaty chili looked and smelled better, I give it first place in the chili cook-off. I don't even have to taste it to know it's better. Maura, Brooke, Mary - you missed out on some yummy chili!

5 comments:

  1. I highly recommend a Nesco if you decide to get another crockpot. You can control temperature much more so than with the usual low/med/high crock. I ♥ my Nesco that I've had since we've been married. I have another large newer crock, but I hardly ever reach for it unless I'm cooking two things at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did your veggie chili turn out?!?!? I'm always looking for good veggie chili recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...I have a great veggie chili recipe we eat over rice....I make the meat on the side and Scott tops his off with the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you plan to make-n-serve, I recommend using Tofurkey sun dried tomato and basil sausage instead of crumbles. Very interesting! Doesn't keep as well for extended periods b/c the tofu gets waterlogged after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did a jambalaya the other night which was awesome. Used the veggie italian sausage and broccoli since there was no okra to be found. Tonight will be some sort of eggplant and roasted red pepper soup - looks like I'm becoming a "dinner vegetarian" :)

    ReplyDelete