Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese

I have not been this excited about something I've prepared - ever! This one really knocked my socks off...and my husband's too! I found a photo of a Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese sandwich on Pinterest. I followed the "pin" back to a blog called "Becky Bakes" where she made the sandwich created by the blog "Closet Cooking". If you venture to the other blogs you'll see that these people are wonderful photographers. I totally need tips!

Anyways...after reading "Becky Bakes", I decided that the recipe was more involved than I wanted to commit to preparing. Why? Because I really didn't want to spend time broiling my jalapenos and then peeling them. That's just too much work for a sandwich. And Becky also mentioned that she only used one jalapeno but she'd use two next time to punch up the flavor. I had an idea! Why not try pickled jalapenos? No broiling, no peeling, use as much or as little as you like depending on the amount of kick you can handle.

I really never even read the recipe on the other sites. I just got too excited and prepped it the way I wanted to. I bought some sourdough bread, buttered the outside, slathered the insides with cream cheese, tossed a piece of real cheddar cheese on there and placed a single layer of pickled jalapenos on top. I picked out the seeds as you can see on the side on the photo below. I grilled mine on the pre-heated George Foreman grill for just over 4 minutes.
The bread came out crunchy on the outside and the inside literally tasted just like a jalapeno popper - but with bread and no frying. It was so good that I made a second one for lunch! I can't ever imagine making a plain old grilled cheese sandwich again. You've gotta try this!

In fact, I'll make it for you if you'd like! Here's a contest of sorts...If you live in the DC Metro area, leave a comment in the comment section of this blog entry and tell me why you'd like me to make this sandwich for you. If I only get a comment or two, your chances will be great that you'll be a winner! So easy.

Here's another nugget - I've got a Tummy Temptations Facebook page in the works. I don't know what I'm doing and it's sloppy, but I'm sure if you search for it you'll find it. If you are one of the first two "local" people to "Like" it, I'll make you a surprise treat!

Update: 3/26/12.
I made this again today using Mt. Olive brand pickled jalapenos. Not impressed. Definitely use Old El Paso brand. Thicker, spicier slices of jalapeno.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/04/jalapeno-popper-grilled-cheese-sandwich.html

http://www.beckybakes.net/2011/04/13/jalapeno-popper-grilled-cheese-sandwich/

19 comments:

  1. That grilled cheese looked amazing! I almost went to the store to buy jalapenos so I could make it tonight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I want one! I'll be adding the ingredients to my grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making for lunch this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband ate left over lasagna for dinner last night and then asked me to make him this sandwich for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. my. I made the jalapeño popper grilled cheese and it was quite tasty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Glad you liked it. Did you tweak the 'recipe' at all?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not really-I have some peppers from friends who can them, so I used those. Also used sharp cheddar. Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guess I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn dairy free diet...that looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristin L. from KYMarch 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM

    Hmm..think I going to have to try this out. Sounds to good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I WANT a sandwich!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No... must deliver to MY HOUSE *ASAP* and THEN do your blog.... It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this on Pinterest : ) I've been wanting to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joanne, you do live pretty close to me and I'm working from home today... do not tempt me because I have not yet had lunch and... I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. drooling over here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks delicious ")

    ReplyDelete
  17. taht does look pretty tempting....oh how i wish i had some poppers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Scott's a big fan of your jalapeño popper sandwich!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Somebody has earned some lovin for that panini!

    ReplyDelete