Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homemade Shells and Cheese


Who doesn't like mac and cheese? Come on...you know you're the 99%! Who likes it made with processed cheese vs. real cheese? The processed stuff tastes great, but it's not so great for you. Here's my attempt at homemade shells and cheese made with a blend of real cheese. I used a blend of regular shredded hormone-free cheddar and smoked mozzarella. It’s pretty easy to make since you make it on the stove top and there is no baking.

It turned out great! Very creamy and very smokey. My 4 1/2 year old son had never tried mac and cheese until tonight...and he ate it! He didn't inhale it like I did, but then again he's not really a pasta lover.

Because this side dish is so creamy and delicious, it really needs something to enhance the flavor and texture so thinly sliced green onions made the perfect topping. Breadcrumbs would work but I find them to often times be too heavy.

Enjoy!

Ingredients

8 ounces medium whole wheat shells
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 dash black pepper
2 cups organic milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup smoked mozzarella
sliced green onions

Directions

1 - Cook shells according to package directions.
2 - Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly add the milk and cook while whisking out any lumps and stirring until the mixture becomes somewhat thick. Stir in the cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
3 - Drain shells and toss them to the cheese sauce. Stir to coat. Top with green onions for serving if desired.

(Makes 4 Servings)

8 comments:

  1. Holy cow, that looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg!!! That makes me so hungry! I am going to try this recipe this weekend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pinned it on Pinterest and 40 people immediately re-pinned it! Hope at least one of them reads my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, You're torturing me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sent your blog link to my mom...she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made your shells and cheese recipe last night...to die for! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude. If you want to try a good mac-n-cheese recipe, you should try my vegan one. It is actually very good! It's a bit of a pain to make though, there is simmering and food processing involved.

    ReplyDelete