Thursday, February 23, 2012

Birds' Nests

Who's ready for Spring? The Robins are out in large numbers. The temperature here in the D.C. Metro area is above-average with today's high being around 66 degrees and my flowerbed is in bloom. I think the Groundhog was wrong, which is alright with me. I just wish I could return my son's new snowsuit and gloves. They'll be too small for him to use next year.

So in honor of Spring I decided to try and make a treat that I made a long time ago intermediate school home ec class. No cooking/baking makes this super easy. Use pastel M&Ms or for a fancier, more accurate looking nest use Cadbury mini eggs as your bird eggs.

Ingredients

pan spray or unsalted butter, for greasing the muffin pan

4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

4 oz butterscotch chips

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

5 oz chow mein noodles

36 pastel M&Ms or mini Cadbury eggs

Instructions

1. Grease the wells of a muffin pan with pan spray or butter.

2. In a large microwave-proof bowl, heat the chocolate and butterscotch chips in 30 second intervals until thoroughly melted, stirring after each increment. (It only took me three 30-second intervals).

3. Once melted, add the peanut butter to the chocolate/butterscotch mixture, mixing well until smooth and completely mixed.

4. Add the chow mein noodles, stirring gently with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, until completely coated.

5. Using a large spoon, mold the mixture into the wells of your muffin tin.

6. Chill the nests until hardened, for at least 1 hour.

7. Once chilled, gently remove the nests from the muffin tin.

8. Place three eggs on the tops of each nest.


No comments:

Post a Comment