Saturday, February 4, 2012

Country Chicken Casserole

When my husband was a bachelor he didn't do a lot of cooking. I guess he still doesn't. When we married and merged everything from bank accounts to CDs I had to go through his small stack of cookbooks. They were literally all Campbells cookbooks. As a bachelor he needed super simple recipes with super simple directions such as open a can of soup, add chicken, bake. Here is one of the recipes I found on the Campbell's website. Do you think it turned out well? Yes, yes it did...especially after tweeking a few ingredients to suit my liking. I've adapted the recipe to reflect ingredients that I like to cook with.

My husband really liked this meal and was excited that there was left-overs. My preschooler wasn't thrilled the first night I served it. He wanted the corn picked out. The next night he eagerly ate the left-overs, corn and all. Definitely an easy winner that I'll make again next month.

Ingredients

1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup ( or potato)
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut-up vegetables
2 cups cubed cooked chicken (or turkey)
-sprinkle with poultry seasoning for extra flavor
2 cups Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix

Directions

1.
Stir together first 7 ingredients in a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Top with stuffing.
2.
Bake at 400F for 25-35 minutes or until the stuffing is golden brown.

*I just used 2 chicken breasts and a bag of mixed vegetables. I didn't actually measure those ingredients out. I also didn't measure the stuffing mix. I just sprinkled on a liberal amount.




1 comment: