Friday, February 25, 2011

Easy Slow Cooker French Dip


I continue on my journey of planning our our dinners a month-at-a-time, while actually making recipes I keep collecting. I decided to try something that I know, if I was still a meat-eater, that I'd love. French Dip with warm au jus.

I adapted a recipe from Allrecipes.com, using other people's comments to make my French Dip the best it could be. But first, I had to figure out which cut of meat to use. The recipe calls for rump roast, but many people also used chuck roast or sirloin tip. I enjoy reading people's comments, but figuring out what to add to my shopping list meant doing a little homework.

Rump roast and and chuck roast are very flavorful and tender, while sirloin tip is less fatty. I decided to look for sirloin tip because I knew it would be tender in the crock pot. Alas, I was unable to find it and bought a chuck roast instead.

The end result was my kitchen smelled fantastic all day and my family loved it (served it to four people). They all said it was worth making again, except my son who isn't a red meat fan yet.

Ingredients

  • 3-4 pounds chuck roast
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth or consomme
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle DARK beer
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 6 French rolls
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Directions

  1. Trim excess fat from the chuck roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup, beer and spices. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours.
  2. About 30 minutes before serving, cut the meat then placed it back into the juices to cook a little bit more.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  4. Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.
  5. Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.

1 comment: