Thursday, May 3, 2012

Rustic Potato Pizza


I once saw a photo of potato slices on pizza.  It looked good.  Very, very good.  The other day I was thinking about making a pizza and I recalled the potato pizza.  I researched various recipes and some said to peel then cook the potato, some didn't say to cook it first.  Some recipes called for butter while others called for EVOO.  Some  instructions said to bake for 15 minutes, others said to bake for 35.  Since none of the ingredients nor directions set me on a clear path I decided to create my own.  I'm so happy I did.  It turned out fantastic and it's versatile.  Alter the ingredients (cheese, potatoes, herbs) to suit your preferences or to use up the cheese you've got in the refrigerator.  What is also nice is that you don't have to measure out each ingredient.  If you like more cheese, use it.  If you want less, cut it back.  Just make sure you have the pizza covered so that each bite has some potato.

This pizza is light.  Even though it's got oil, cheese and potatoes, it bodes well for an appetizer for a group of friends to share.  To serve it as an entree, serve it with a salad.  The combination of mozzarella cheese and Gruyere cheese is incredible.  You can use any combination that you like.  I was really in the mood to buy some Gruyere and I thought it would complement the creamy taste of the Yukon potatoes and fresh rosemary.  Gruyere is a harder cheese with a slightly salty yet creamy flavor.

Ingredients
  • 1 FRESH homemade or store-bought pizza dough (regular or whole wheat) 
    • NOT ready-made like Boboli
  • 2 tbs Fresh rosemary, roughly chopped, divided
    • you can use dried but it can't match the quality of the fresh stuff
  • 1 Yukon (yellow) potato, peeled and sliced about 1/8"
    • a potato about the size of your fist
  • 6 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded, divided
  • 6 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • EVOO 
  • S & P
Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. Peel and slice potato.  Set in a bowl of salted water and set aside.
  3. Spread or roll fresh pizza dough on a greased baking sheet pan.
  4. Brush EVOO on dough to cover, sprinkle with garlic and 1 tbs chopped rosemary.
  5. Spread 3/4 of the shredded cheeses on the dough.
  6. Drain potatoes and pat dry.  Sprinkle both sides with S & P.  Place on pizza.  Do not shingle or layer.
  7. Cover the pizza with the remaining cheese and rosemary.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes. 
We all really enjoyed this recipe, although my son picked off the rosemary first.  


2 comments:

  1. Looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night with mozzarella, parmesan and a little white cheddar. I also used garlic olive oil. I couldn't find a Yukon potato in my supermarket but they sold something generic called "yellow potato". I guess it's the same thing. It was really good. It's pretty different from a regular pizza with tomato sauce. I liked the change. Like you suggested I made it as an appetizer and served it to my Saturday night dinner guests.

    ReplyDelete